Famly provides a better way to record your EYFS observations.
In essence, it’s because it’s an all in-one system. That means that your finances, your admin, your daily nursery management and your observations are all in one place.
So what, you might think. Well, we’re here to tell you the difference that could make, and why you are better choosing a system like Famly.
What do we mean by ‘using multiple systems’?
Before we get going, it makes sense to explain exactly what we mean by ‘using multiple systems’.
It could mean many things, but essentially we’re talking about everything Famly isn’t. That is, using software, paper, spreadsheets and other programs, rather than one system that does it all. It could mean:
- Using a piece of software that has unconnected ‘modules’ – a bunch of different programs that perform different functions and don’t work well together.
- Using one piece of software for observations, one for admin, one for parent communication and so on.
- Traditional ‘paper’ for observations and learning journals. In reality, this still probably means using spreadsheets, emails and other more traditional software.
- Some combination of the lot.
We realise that getting rid of these separate systems isn’t always easy. Many people find a way that ‘works for me’, and often you’re hamstrung by inherited systems or various ideas and templates from local providers.
This is particularly important for EYFS observations, where many of you have found a way that works for you, and are concerned about changing it because it might be more inefficient, provide lower quality observations, or waste time as you train up your staff.
But there’s a reason why this is not good enough for your setting. In fact, we’ve managed to find 7…
Katie Thompson, Nursery Manager, Coconut Day Nursery.
1. Is it easy to use?
Whatever system you’re using, it needs to be simple to use. Wasting hours on a complicated system is not good enough, even if you feel like it’s the best way for you to do things. If it’s not easy to use, then it can’t really save you time or provide any value to your setting.
- Works just like the kind of programs and sites you use every day.
- Is built alongside nursery managers with their workflow in mind.
- Has a simple, beautiful interface that is easy to train staff on.
- Allows you to upload EYFS observations in seconds.
- Are often clunky and old-fashioned, taking months to get your head around.
- Involve complicated workarounds that are hard to explain to anyone else.
- Require you to constantly switch between them, causing confusion.
- Will take you longer to complete each observation.
In a sentence
You might be used to your way of doing things, but you will be able to pick up Famly from day one.
2. Does it take long to train staff?
When it comes to uploading or creating EYFS observations, you need a system that staff can get to grips with quickly. They’re not there to spend their time on paperwork, and every moment you can save means more time with the children.
- Will be a familiar design to many of your staff.
- Comes with 100s of training guides to help your staff get to grips with it.
- Offers on-demand support for any questions you have.
- Require you to train staff on more than one complicated system.
- Could mean lots of cutting and sticking or time spent buried in iPads.
- Frustrate your staff with unnecessary processes.
- Distract your staff from what they should be focused on…the children!
In a sentence
Staff pick up Famly with ease and we’re here to support you the minute they have any questions.
3. Are there errors and mistakes?
Mistakes in the way you record information can be costly to any childcare provider. Lost EYFS observations or even whole learning journals are devastating, and important attendance or financial numbers can easily be lost in the cracks when you’ve got multiple points of data entry.
- Keeps all of your data secure and safe, with regular backups to ensure nothing will ever get lost.
- Only makes you enter something once, using that for multiple records and reports.
- Works in real time, meaning everyone is seeing the most recent updates.
- Are not as secure.
- Mean you have to update multiple records, making it easy to miss something out.
- Don’t always work together in harmony, meaning things get lost in between.
- Can have different people updating different things at different times, creating mistake-ridden reports.
In a sentence
If you want secure and correct records, trust Famly over your disconnected systems.
Type of Data
Photo EYFS observations
Video EYFS observations
Single data entry
Automatic cohort tracking
One system for parents
A complete setting overview
Automatic Learning Journals
Information in one place
4. Are you doing double (or triple) the work?
Saving time is one of the many reasons people take their EYFS observations online. And what wastes more time than anything else? Entering the same stuff more than once – something you can guarantee you’ll be doing with multiple systems.
- Automatically uploads your observations to each child’s learning journal, and the data to your cohort tracking too.
- Uses the same child profiles and plans for registers, child development, invoicing, occupancy and more.
- Lets parents add details themselves, reducing your workload in some areas completely.
- Require manual data entry every time you want a new report.
- Need you to routinely collect your observations together for learning journals and progress tracking.
In a sentence
Famly will save you time every day by only ever making you enter numbers, figures, and EYFS observations once.
5. How involved are your parents?
Parent partnerships are essential if you want to provide the right environment for every single child in your setting. Having them interested and involved in their children’s learning and observations is a key goal that you need to consider when deciding on your systems.
- Only requires parents to sign up for one app, which sends them updates straight to their pockets.
- Makes invoicing easy for parents by keeping everything to do with the nursery in one place.
- Allows parents to submit parent observations, giving you a fuller picture of each child’s development.
- Lets parents collaborate to save you time, updating information on children and invoicing themselves.
- Instant messaging and the parent news feed helps you to keep those relationships secure.
- Require parents to sign on to two or more services, resulting in confusion and low engagement.
- Are often not very relevant to today’s parents, and can result in unread learning journals and forgotten messages.
- Reduce communication by making it harder and more confusing to get in touch.
In a sentence
Famly makes parent partnerships easy by keeping everything in one place and engaging parents in a way that makes sense to them.
Hannah McGoohan, Director of Education, N is for Nursery.
6. Do you know where to find everything?
Emails. Spreadsheets. Folders. Memory sticks. Paper learning journals. Where exactly is that key piece of information you need? The time you waste just searching for things every day is worth getting rid of your separate systems alone.
- Has dedicated places for document storage, messaging, reports and more.
- Keeps your data backed-up so no EYFS observations get lost.
- Gives you simple overviews so that you always know what’s going on your setting.
- Leave you with all of your stuff in a thousand different places, making it hard to find anything.
- Increase the chance of something important getting lost
- Don’t give you the complete, truthful overview that you need to ensure a sustainable setting.
In a sentence
Famly saves you time by keeping everything in one place.
7. What is the quality of the observations?
What use are all of these benefits if the quality of the observations isn’t good enough? At the end of the day, any system is only as good as the observations that go into it, but Famly has a few features that make it that bit easier to ensure quality EYFS observations.
- Makes adding observations simple for practitioners, no matter how technophobic they are.
- Gives you the option to review observations before they go out to parents.
- Comes with options to add EYO and CoEL links, next steps, and photos or videos, however you like to do your observations.
- Often result in EYFS observations that don’t get read by parents.
- Can be a confusing and time-consuming process for your practitioners, taking them away from what really matters.
In a sentence
Famly gives you the flexibility to do your observations the way you like and the tools to ensure they are of the highest quality.